There are times when the body needs a rest – from all the decadent restaurant meals, the comforting at home cooking, and the endless snacking. Thus, the creation of this Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese. For when you need something lighter but still comforting. For those times when it’s that time of month and you NEED carbs – this will seal the deal. This macaroni and cheese will give you all the feels, I promise. It’s creamy, it’s cheesy, it’s lusciously smooth – and with a crisp breadcrumb topping, what’s not to love?!
The sauce is like making a regular cheese sauce – minus the crazy amount of cheese. The butternut squash puree adds the bright gorgeous color and such a delicious, earthy flavor. Granted, I could have used fat-free milk in this recipe, but that stuff is nasty and I’d rather have my full-fat delicious whole milk than a chemical ridden “milk”.
So give this recipe a try and I bet that you won’t be disappointed! It’s the perfect meal to eat while cuddled on the couch on a cold night. Because New England has a couple more weeks of winter, I’ll get in as much comfort food as I can now. Happy eating, friends!
- 1 pound regular or whole wheat pasta
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole or 2% milk
- 2 cups butternut squash puree*
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- salt, pepper, and nutmeg – to taste
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- Cook pasta al dente and set aside.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a large saucepan, melt the coconut oil and whisk in the flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes and add the milk and squash puree.
- Let thicken and add cheese. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Fold in the pasta. Place in oven-safe pan and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 5 minutes under broiler until golden brown.
- Note: To make squash puree, either roast or boil squash until tender, remove from water if necessary and glen until smooth puree is achieved.