Got fresh blueberries? Try this quick and easy Blueberry Almond Cake… or is it a blueberry tea bread? Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream for dessert – or warm up a slice for breakfast.
This is adapted from a Lemon Loaf Cake recipe in one of my favorite baking cookbooks, Baking with Julia, written by Dorie Greenspan. It’s a lovely, moist cake with a silky texture- I love adding almonds to bump up flavor and crunch. Also makes a good cupcake or muffin should your heart desire.
Blueberry Almond Cake
• 4 large eggs
• 1⅓ cups sugar
• Pinch salt
• Zest of 1 lemon
• 1¾ cups cake flour
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
• ½ cup half and half
• ½ teaspoon almond extract
• 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
• 1½ cups blueberries
• 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
• 1 tablespoon sugar for topping
1. You can make this cake in a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, or simply use a mixing bowl and a hand whisk. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter a 9×5 inch loaf pan and dust with flour.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt until foamy and well blended. Whisk in the lemon zest. Slowly add the sifted cake flour and baking powder into the egg mixture, whisking until smooth. Whisk in the half and half, almond extract and then the butter. Gently stir in 1 cup of the blueberries.
4. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan, and sprinkle remaining blueberries on top. Sprinkle with almonds and sugar to finish.
5. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 60 minutes until puffed and golden brown. If a toothpick inserted into the center does not come out clean, bake for another 10 minutes and test again.
6. Cool before serving. Serve with whipped cream, ice cream or all on it’s own.