Triple Chocolate Frangelico Brownies

January 28, 2014

stacked brownies

Welcome to brownie season. The frigid weather accompanied by ongoing hibernation has put me in the mood for rich, chewy, chocolate brownies. That’s right, ’tis the season for brownies with dark, milk and white chocolate.

Since I wasn’t able to find a recipe for a good triple chocolate brownie, I created my own and it turned out great. I even added a bit of Frangelico to make it more grown up. Delicious.

shaved chocolate white

Taking solace in brownies is necessary because my New Year got off to a rough start. On January 1st, I watched the Downton Abbey Season 3 finale (yes, THE season 3 finale). Sitting in the dark whilst transfixed on the story line, I unwittingly chomped into a giant popcorn kernel and broke my tooth – in half.

Let’s just say Cousin Matthew’s estate owes me a large sum of money for ensuing endodontic procedure. I’d like a do-over but right now I’m just thankful for easy to chew brownies.

brownie and chocolate

At the start of the year, I reflected on how this blog began. I would have never guessed at that time how many people around the world I would reach and how many of you I would get to know personally.

In fact,  I’ve seen many of you use your own blogs and websites to propel yourselves into book deals, teaching careers, publishing, food start-ups, restaurants, farm ownership and more. From stay-at-home moms to those simply seeking a new way of life, the internet has allowed us to reshape our lives in ways prior generations could only imagine.

As I watch new blogs emerge and discover new friends on Twitter, I can’t wait to see what new success story take shape next.

lamp post tree and bench

This is why I’ve been concerned about a recent decision that impacts our ability to use the internet freely.  It’s not a partisan issue and it could impact our internet use.

Some of you may be familiar with term ‘net neutrality.’  The courts just ruled against net neutrality but left an opening to bring it back. If  your eyes glaze over with boredom when you hear about it you’re not alone. But, it affects everything we see and do on the internet from our ability to be seen in search engine rankings to our ability to spend time on Pinterest.

I’m not going to rattle on about it. If you’re interested this video humorously explains the issue.

brownie top

bite of brownie

In the meantime,  try making these sensational brownies. I can’t recommend them highly enough.

Update: I’m deeply saddened to learn that Elle Ritchotte of Elle’s New England Kitchen recently and suddenly died. I followed Elle on Twitter and enjoyed reading her blog. She was smart, funny, clever and supportive of so many people. Her death is a great loss to the New England food community and to all whose lives she touched. It’s my understanding that Elle left behind a husband and 4 children. Donations can be made here.

Dear Elle, you will be missed. “Say not in grief she is no more – but live in thankfulness that she was.”

final brownie

Triple Chocolate Frangelico Brownies

75 g dark chocolate

70 g milk chocolate

2 tbs. butter

1/2 c (100 g) granulated sugar

1/2 c (70 g) dark brown sugar

2 whole eggs, 1 egg yolk

1 tsp frangelico

3/4 c plus 2 tsp (112 g) flour

4 tbs (16 g) cocoa powder

1 tsp baking powder

1 cup white chocolate, finely chopped

Extra butter for greasing the pan

Preheat oven to 350F (180 C). Butter a 7×11 pan and set aside.

Melt dark chocolate, milk chocolate and butter in heat-proof bowl in the microwave. Heat for 1 minute and then stir, allowing the residual heat from the bowl to melt the remaining chocolate. If necessary, heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until chocolate is melted. Do not overheat. Set aside to cool.

Mix flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix sugar and cooled melted chocolate mixture. Add eggs and frangelico and mix until blended. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until blended. Beat on high for 15 seconds. Add white chocolate and blend until just mixed in.

Pour into a buttered pan and bake at 350 F (180c) just until set. A toothpick inserted in the center should still have crumbs on it. Avoid over-baking. For best results, use good quality chocolate and cocoa powder.

Bon appétit!

• Reply Lizzy (Good Things) March 4, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Dearest El, sorry to hear about your friend… I had not yet discovered Elle’s blog but it seems she will be very sadly missed.

And what a bother about your tooth…. I hate it when that happens!

Deliciously beautiful recipe and photographs, as always. Happy baking xo

• Reply A Canadian Foodie February 14, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Why is it, El…that I feel so refreshed and like I have been outside in the New England air and worked up an appetite to enjoy that gorgeous brownie after lingering here?
    Happy Valentine’s Day!
    Gorgeous photos!

• Reply Magda January 31, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Hi El. Sorry to hear about your tooth. Ouch! Hope all is well now.
    Net neutrality. Thankfully in Europe we have that and there’s no debate about losing it!
    Thanks for a great recipe. I love brownies and have only made double chocolate brownies. Tripe sounds even better.
    Stay well!

• Reply freshblog January 31, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Hi Magda,

Thanks for your note. Europe is lucky And thanks for the well-wishes!

• Reply Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 31, 2014 at 4:47 am

Ah… I didn’t realize it was brownie season, now I have a good excuse to make them regularly right? You know before the season is over. 😉

• Reply freshblog January 31, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Yes, definitely!

• Reply cheri January 30, 2014 at 9:34 pm

So sorry about your tooth, your brownies look wonderful. Your pics beautiful.

• Reply freshblog January 30, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Thanks Cheri, much appreciated!

• Reply Susan January 30, 2014 at 3:39 pm

This is an information-packed post, El! First of all, I’m so sorry about your tooth. I have done the very same thing eating fresh cherries with abandon only to crack my tooth on a cherry pit. Secondly, thanks for the link and humorous video. Not a humorous subject, however! I’ll be paying more attention from now on. Thirdly, how very sad about Elle. I didn’t know about her blog but she appears to have been a very young woman. My sympathies to her family and friends.

Last, but not least, your brownies look delicious! I could use something sweet and comforting right about now. As always, beautiful shots.

• Reply freshblog January 30, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Thanks Susan…For everything!

• Reply A Canadian Foodie January 30, 2014 at 9:20 am

Gorgeous. Comforting this early Winter morning.

• Reply freshblog January 30, 2014 at 10:43 am

Thanks Val!

• Reply Vanessa Favero January 30, 2014 at 9:19 am

Not to be a kiljoy, but can one leave the alcohol out? Sadly it’s a Teetotal household. Perhaps a teaspoon of vanilla or chocolate essence?

• Reply freshblog January 30, 2014 at 10:44 am

Absolutely! Any essence you like should work fine!

• Reply Karen January 30, 2014 at 8:54 am

Love the touch of hazelnut from Frangelico – perfect! As always, you’re work and images are inspiring.
    The video made me chuckle, and you’re right, it’s eye opening issue.

• Reply freshblog January 30, 2014 at 10:45 am

Thanks so much. It is eye opening!

• Reply Janet January 29, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Sorry to hear about your tooth. I had that happen before and it’s quite painful. I’m sure the brownies will help in healing!

• Reply freshblog January 30, 2014 at 10:46 am

Thanks Janet. It’s no fun at all!

• Reply thelittleloaf January 29, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Brownie season sounds like a very good thing to me. Gorgeous photos and love the white chocolate with the snow.

• Reply freshblog January 30, 2014 at 10:46 am

Thank you!

• Reply Merisi in Vienna January 29, 2014 at 6:38 am

Those brownies read and look as if they would be able to be of comfort after reading about ‘net neutrality’ risking to become a thing of the past!

Have you ever tried to use Plugrá butter? It has more butterfat than regular American butter, similar to European butter. Funny thing is, with the great variety of local butter available around here, I discovered Austrian Christmas cookies turn out perfectly with Kerrygold Irish butter (I spotted Kerrygold at Safeway’s in Washington, D.C.).

• Reply freshblog January 29, 2014 at 8:48 am

Hi Merisi,
      I’ve only tried plugra in cooking,not baking. Thanks for the tip!

• Reply Rosa January 29, 2014 at 3:10 am

Lovely winter pictures and divine brownies!

• Reply freshblog January 29, 2014 at 8:48 am

Thanks Rosa!

• Reply vanillasugarblog January 28, 2014 at 7:04 pm

that extra egg yolk in the brownie truly makes a world of diff
    i’ve been experimenting with various brownie recipes, and I’ve found not only the add’l egg yolk but also using european butters adds a whole nice layer of gentle tart/creaminess–if that’s how to say it.

• Reply freshblog January 28, 2014 at 7:13 pm

It does make a difference. I like using the local butters but will definitely give the European butters a try. It’s amazing how 1 ingredient can change a whole recipe.

• Reply Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 28, 2014 at 6:34 pm

These brownies sound so good!! YUM!

• Reply freshblog January 28, 2014 at 7:13 pm