Holiday Chocolate Budino

December 24, 2013

chocolate budino

Call it house keeping, starting the New year off right, tying up loose ends or whatever you choose. It was time to take the leap and redesign the blog.

Welcome to my new space. Pull up a chair and get ready to enjoy a great chocolate dessert.

I’m about to introduce you to one of the best and most festive holiday desserts I’ve ever had the pleasure of making.

farm road

plated budinofarm house

First, let me tell you about the inspiration behind the recipe. You know how much we love Cape Cod, right? Well, it just so happens that a great restaurant recently opened called Vers Restaurant & Patisserie. You can read more about the chefs and see my photographs in the feature article I wrote here.

holiday collage

Anyway, after the photo shoot, the Executive Chef and owner, Jonathan Haffmans and the Executive Pastry Chef, Stephen Jones were kind enough to share this recipe with me.

When I first saw the recipe, I was excited because I love chocolate pudding.  I was reluctant to add the rosemary and pepper because I’m not much of a fan of either ingredient. But I’ve tried their food and trust them so I went ahead and made the recipe as recommended. It’s simply divine.

by the chimneyplanterswreath

You’ll definitely want to add this establishment to your list of places to visit the next time your in Massachusetts. (disclosure: they’re not paying me to write this post, they just have great food). They’re also open year-round and the Cape is a fantastic place to visit off-season.

lone treepudding horizontal

This recipe is perfect for the holiday season. The pudding itself is very simple to make and is rich, creamy and smooth. The rosemary lends the slightest hint of evergreen to the flavor and the pepper gives it just the right touch of spice. The milk jam and brioche crumble work in concert to provide the perfect mix of textures for your palate.

In short, you have to try this dessert. It’s like eating Christmas.

lit treespoon and twine

Speaking of Christmas, I hope you have a wonderful holiday and lots of great food. Happy New Year!

coming homespoon full of pudding

Salt and Pepper Holiday Chocolate Budino with Rosemary Milk Jam, Shredded Brioche, Fleur de Sel and Tellicherry Pepper

Chocolate Budino

Milk, 2 Cups
Dark Chocolate, 4oz, chopped
Butter, 1 Tblsp.
Cornstarch, 2 Tblsp
Sugar, 1⁄2 Cup
Cocoa Powder, 1Tblsp.

Bring milk and butter to a simmer over medium heat. Combine cornstarch, sugar and cocoa powder in a separate bowl. Temper milk mixture to cornstarch mix by gradually adding the hot milk in stages. Once all is incorporated, return to heat and add chopped chocolate. Whisk constantly till it becomes smooth and reaches a simmer. Turn off heat, push through fine mesh strainer and chill immediately. Cover with surface with plastic wrap.

Rosemary Milk Jam

Fresh Rosemary, 8 Sprigs
Whole Milk, 3 Cups
Cream, 1⁄2 Cup
Sugar, 1 Cup
Vanilla Bean, 1ea, split and seeded
Corn Syrup, 3 Tblsp.
Baking Soda, 1 tsp
Butter, 4 Tblsp, room temperature

Combine milk, cream, sugar and rosemary and bring to simmer while stirring often. Lower heat and let reduce by half. Add baking soda carefully, the mixture will expand rapidly. Add corn syrup. Continue to cook and stir till it becomes light brown in color. Remove from heat. Push through a fine mesh strainer and cool to room temperature. Add butter and mix till well blended. Chill.

Shredded Leftover Brioche

Brioche 1 Loaf
Powdered Sugar, 1⁄2 Cup

Take leftover, day old, brioche and remove crust. Using fingers pinch and pull the brioche creating rough pieces of all different shapes and size. Place bread pieces onto a sheet pan and dust with powdered sugar. Let sit at room temperature, uncovered, for 24 hours. Store in airtight container for up to three days.

Garnishes

Fleur De Sel Sea Salt (or another type of sea salt)
Course Ground Tellicherry Peppercorns (or another type of peppercorn) Unsweetened Soft Whipped Cream

Assembly

Remove budino mixture from cooler and whip by hand to smooth out any lumps. Spoon three dollops of budino evenly across the plate. Top each dollop with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Top each dollop with a piece of shredded brioche. Place rosemary milk jam around outside of plate. Garnish with a spoonful of unsweetened soft whipped cream.

My cooking notes: I only had 4 sprigs of rosemary so that’s what I used. Also, I found I had to cook for quite a while to get it thick. While it’s not difficult to make, I found this tutorial helpful.

Bon appétit!

• Reply A Canadian Foodie January 19, 2014 at 7:17 pm

How I have missed these peaceful and edifying posts, El! Since I have also subscribed to your “full site”, I only get notifications from it, and no longer receive the notifications from your dessert blog. I know, that is so odd. I have been meaning to let you know much sooner… thankfully am getting to it now. Should I unsubscribe and re-subscribe to just the dessert posts? I love all your work, but these are my fav. I wanted both.
    V

• Reply freshblog January 21, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Thanks Val- I’ll check it out and get back to you directly.

• Reply Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 16, 2014 at 2:42 am

Oh my does that sounds wonderful, especially with the rosemary milk jam!

• Reply freshblog January 16, 2014 at 9:01 am

Thanks Sylvie. It really is a special treat!

• Reply anushruti January 16, 2014 at 1:38 am

What a fabulous display of pictures! and the pudding looks amazing! And since it has no eggs, perfect for me!

Wish you a great year ahead full of love, creativity, inspiration and happiness.

• Reply freshblog January 16, 2014 at 9:02 am

Thanks so much. Same to you!

• Reply Food to Fitness January 2, 2014 at 1:14 am

Amazing pics and great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Claire December 31, 2013 at 11:51 am

Magnifique! Love everything.

• Reply Kate December 28, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I just found your website and love it. I live in Cape Cod and am looking forward to getting down to Chatham to check out the restaurant. It looks divine! So does the chocolate budino. I wonder if it’s just okay to make the pudding part?

• Reply freshblog December 30, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Hi Kate,

Thanks for stopping by. If you live on the Cape, it’s a pleasant change. You won’t regret stopping by. And, yes…the pudding by itself is excellent!

• Reply Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style December 26, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I love the redesign! Thanks for sharing all the wonderful photos, and for the delicious-looking recipe. Happy holidays!

• Reply Magda December 26, 2013 at 10:28 am

I love the new design of your blog, El. It looks amazing! This chocolate dessert is dreamy. Anything with chocolate is my weakness and I think I would enjoy the rosemary flavor. Sounds exciting.
    I hope you have had a good Christmas and I wish you happy holidays, El, and happy 2014!

• Reply freshblog December 26, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Thanks Magda. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Greece!

• Reply Jamie December 26, 2013 at 7:20 am

The blog design is stunning! I showed it to my son who has been working on my blog but has been wanting to recreate it entirely and very similar to your own. Your photos are gorgeous and oooh I want to be here this Christmas! Too beautiful and festive! And I adore chocolate budino… a wonderful recipe! Happy Holidays!

• Reply freshblog December 26, 2013 at 7:34 am

Thanks Jamie. I appreciate your input. I had never tried bud ion before so it was a treat for me too. Hope you had a good holiday!

• Reply vanillasugarblog December 25, 2013 at 5:40 pm

what is this?
    all this new, fancy, adorable, and with music now blog?
    :-)
    gorgeous, just like you.
    merry christmas my darling!!
    xoxo!

• Reply freshblog December 26, 2013 at 7:34 am

Thanks so much!

• Reply Lizzy (Good Things) December 25, 2013 at 5:30 pm

El, firstly, sending you Christmas cheer and best wishes for the new year. Love the new look and feel of your blog. Very ‘fresh’. Thank you for your inspiring work and friendship xo

• Reply freshblog December 26, 2013 at 7:34 am

Ditto. Enjoy Christmas in Australia!

• Reply Rosa December 25, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Gorgeous pics and dessert.

• Reply freshblog December 26, 2013 at 7:35 am

Thanks Rosa. Merry Christmas!

• Reply Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar December 25, 2013 at 8:20 am

This looks too good!! Love it!

• Reply freshblog December 26, 2013 at 7:35 am

Thanks Katrina!

• Reply Krista December 25, 2013 at 6:08 am

I love the makeover, El! So clean and fresh and open. :-) And I adore these gorgeous wintry photos. :-) It’s so blazing hot here in Oz right now that your pictures are a precious escape. Wishing you a wonderful holiday. :-) xo

• Reply freshblog December 25, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Thanks Krista- stay cool!

• Reply Muna Kenny December 25, 2013 at 4:31 am

Beautiful clicks, and yummy recipe!

• Reply Susan December 24, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Beautiful makeover to your site, El!

I made my first salted caramel budino this year so I know I would love your recipe – including the red pepper and rosemary. After all, red and green in the holiday spirit :)

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you and your family!

• Reply freshblog December 26, 2013 at 7:38 am

Happy holidays to you too. Thank you!

• Reply Susan December 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm

What did you do to the blog? I ❤️❤️❤️ it. Absolutely love. Gorgeous photos. I def look forward to this yummy recipe!

• Reply freshblog December 26, 2013 at 7:37 am

Thank you!

• Reply Liren December 24, 2013 at 2:11 pm

El, I may just change our dessert plans. This looks divine! Merry Christmas!!

• Reply freshblog December 24, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Liren, it’s so good. You won’t regret it. Just be sure to use excellent quality chocolate. Merry Christmas to you too!

• Reply Janet December 24, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Oh, El. This is stunning. I love what you’ve done with the space. The dessert looks sensational and I’m going to tell my husband about the restaurant tonight. Happy holidays and happy 2014!

• Reply freshblog December 24, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Thank you Janet. I appreciate hearing from you and wish you a wonderful holiday as well!